UPX (Ultimate Packer for eXecutables) is a very comprehensive executable file compressor/decompressor that only supports DOS/command-line. It supports executable files on almost any sorts of platforms (EXE, DLL, OCX, BPL, CPL, etc.), comes with excellent compression ratio.
Free UPX is a very popular advanced GUI shell for UPX. It provides friendly UI for the DOS version of UPX, comes with many new parameters and functions. That’s to say, in Free UPX, you are able to visually use UPX’s all command line arguments with ease. Compared with other UPX GUIs, it’s more optional parameters, as well as more stable compression/decompression processing.
BTW, there are several typical usages for packing executable files: Protect EXE program and its library; Reduce EXE’s file size (shrink 50% ~ 70% without any loss of functionality or performance), Bind with virus (we are against doing this).
// Key Features //
- Compression and decompression of Windows executable files (EXE, DLL, OCX, BPL, CPL, SYS, AX, ACM, DRV, TLB and other).
- Compression and decompression of ELF executables (used on Unix, Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD and other operating systems).
- Compression and decompression of Mac OS X executable files (Mach-O, FAT).
- Easy access to all UPX command-line parameters.
- Displaying detailed information about compressed files: original file size, compression ratio, saved space, compression level and other.
- The ability to filter files based on multiple criteria.
- Predefined UPX profiles for beginners. Advanced users can define custom profiles.
- Portability. Free UPX does not use system registry and all settings are stored in INI file, so it can be run from portable drives.
- Shell integration (optional).
- 100% freeware for private and commercial use. There are no limitations, adware, spyware.
// Prompts //
- Once any executable files were compressed by UPX, it would probably be falsely reported as virus/threat.
- The compressed program can not be tampered directly, so the probability of being cracked is greatly reduced, thus achieve a certain degree of protection to software.
- Don’t worry about the software performance when it’s compressed. At least in the weakest and simplest virtual machine Wine, it can run regularly and smoothly, without any obstacles.
// Related Links //
// Download URLs //
// Related Posts //
If the Gens32 Surreal is now the best SEGA Genesis, Mega-Drive (MD) emulator for Windows only, then Gens is the earliest and best one for Windows and Linux all the time. And it's a ...
Is it possible for you to have such questions when installing an application in your Android OS: Why does a local application require so many permissions such as Internet connection, read/write/delete ...
Sometimes, we may come across a lot of beautiful icons from PC programs. For some of them, we want to collect or just use them as materials, such as portableware's ...
Advanced Installer is a very powerful advanced EXE, MSI installer (in accordance with Microsoft Windows authentication) packaging tool based on Windows Installer technique. Maybe you are more accustomed to using the ...
Mailbird is a small, simple and user-friendly free desktop email client for Windows, written in WPF and C#. It focuses on speed and email productivity, was mainly inspired from the ...
Revo Uninstaller Free is a freeware uninstall application. It can not only replace the standard Windows Add/Remove Programs, but also includes some other practical functions. For example, it can help ...
TipCam is a very easy to use screen recording application, although the official has ceased to update (or even not accessible), yet it is still powerful enough.
If Wink is well known with its ...
Whenever some valuable idea or inspiration suddenly flashes through our minds, a memo becomes so important. While in this computing age, the traditional sticky notes also had checked onto computer desktop ...
Ikachan is a Cave Story-like, doujin-type underwater cave exploration tiny game written in C++ by Daisuke Amaya (also the developer of Cave Story) of Studio Pixel from Japan, first released in 2000.
μTorrent (also called microTorrent or uTorrent, short for "µT" or "uT") is a freeware BitTorrent download client, written in C++. It is the most widely used BitTorrent client now, outside China ...
Gens – Earliest and Best SEGA emulator for
[v1.4.0] APK Permission Remover – Android app permissions
BeCyIconGrabber – Icons/cursors viewer & extractor for Windows
[v13.7] Advanced Installer – Powerful and user-friendly Windows
[v2.3.22] Mailbird – Unusual email client focusing on
Revo Uninstaller Free – Innovative uninstall utility
TipCam – Smart zoom & follow screen video
Stickies – Handy, simple and flexible desktop memo
Ikachan – Cave Story-like underwater exploration game
[v3.5.0] uTorrent – Smallest and fastest BitTorrent client
- Copy text content from AppNee: You are welcomed to do this, but do remember one thing: leave us a backlink. Otherwise, finally you will destroy our pay and effort, and get yourself blacklisted/banned by the entire SAYS group.
- Download link: Any download link does not work, email us to fix it for you.
- Software version: Want to get newer version of some software, email us.
- Virus scan: Always remember to do this by yourself using VirusTotal or VirSCAN (more trustworthy). Sometimes, we may forget it or get infected with virus.
- Email reply: As long as we could take time out from daily work & study, we would manage to answer every email worth to reply as soon as possible.
- Software recommendation: For excellent software you're finding but we did not share (make sure you searched through AppNee first), please let us know (via the Feedback). Then we will do our best to find all possible resources for you. But, there is no guarantee.
- Warnning: Before asking any questions, you'd better make sure you have read the post through, and do not use a fake email. Besides, never put too much hope on AppNee, or you will be very disappointed.