|This article is the original content of AppNee. All rights reserved. To repost or reproduce, please make a footnote with our article link!|
UPX (Ultimate Packer for eXecutables) is a very comprehensive executable file compressor/decompressor that only supports DOS/command-line. It supports executable files on almost any sorts of platforms (EXE, DLL, OCX, BPL, CPL, etc.), comes with excellent compression ratio.
Free UPX is a very popular advanced GUI shell for UPX. It provides friendly UI for the DOS version of UPX, comes with many new parameters and functions. That’s to say, in Free UPX, you are able to visually use UPX’s all command line arguments with ease. Compared with other UPX GUIs, it’s more optional parameters, as well as more stable compression/decompression processing.
BTW, there are several typical usages for packing executable files: Protect EXE program and its library; Reduce EXE’s file size (shrink 50% ~ 70% without any loss of functionality or performance), Bind with virus (we are against doing this).
// Key Features //
- Compression and decompression of Windows executable files (EXE, DLL, OCX, BPL, CPL, SYS, AX, ACM, DRV, TLB and other).
- Compression and decompression of ELF executables (used on Unix, Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD and other operating systems).
- Compression and decompression of Mac OS X executable files (Mach-O, FAT).
- Easy access to all UPX command-line parameters.
- Displaying detailed information about compressed files: original file size, compression ratio, saved space, compression level and other.
- The ability to filter files based on multiple criteria.
- Predefined UPX profiles for beginners. Advanced users can define custom profiles.
- Portability. Free UPX does not use system registry and all settings are stored in INI file, so it can be run from portable drives.
- Shell integration (optional).
- 100% freeware for private and commercial use. There are no limitations, adware, spyware.
// Prompts //
- Once any executable files were compressed by UPX, it would probably be falsely reported as virus/threat.
- The compressed program can not be tampered directly, so the probability of being cracked is greatly reduced, thus achieve a certain degree of protection to software.
- Don’t worry about the software performance when it’s compressed. At least in the weakest and simplest virtual machine Wine, it can run regularly and smoothly, without any obstacles.
// Related Links //
// Download URLs //