In some conditions, we need/want to close the monitor’s power immediately (lowering the screen’s brightness is meaningless), rather than waiting for the computer to enter its power saving mode and then do this for you. Note that, empty or pure black screen saver can not achieve this effect, because any screensaver obviously becomes very bright in dark environments.
For example, I like to use a laptop to play music or audio books at night. By changing the ‘Turn off the display’ option to its minimum value – 5 minutes in “Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings”, I can start to enjoy the music/audio books in a dark and quiet environment, until unconsciously I fall asleep. While this method has two annoying shortcomings at least:
- If need to switch another song or chapter, you have to wait for another 5 minutes
- More troubling, the next day, due to normal work, you have to adjust the ‘Turn off the display’ option to a longer time, otherwise it might frequently shut down the monitor
So, Universal Monitor Closer, this tiny app specially designed for instantaneously cutting display’s power was born. After about an hour of trials, debugging and testing, finally it came out to help users that have the same or similar needs with me! From now on, anytime, on a laptop or desktop, when need to thoroughly turn off your monitor’s power (not just reduce its brightness or enable some screensaver with black background), just double click it or give its shortcut a hotkey, then you can cut off the power supply of monitor with one key. This effect is identical with the computer’s hibernating/sleeping state, but the monitor can be instantly lighten again just like screensaver – move your mouse or press any key!
Although primarily designed for laptop’s display, it also supports any type of desktop monitors. Anyhow, using hotkey to call Universal Monitor Closer to close a desktop monitor has at least three advantages than pressing that power button on a monitor:
- Much faster
- Want to make your display be lit again, just move the mouse or hit any key
- If your computer is using a screen saver, you have to turn on the display’s power first, and then repeat the above step to exit the screen saver
// Supported OS & Hardware //
- Windows Vista/7/8/8.1/10
- Works for any kinds of monitors
// Download URLs //
// Related Posts //
BS.Player PRO is one of the most popular multimedia players, famous for its modest UI and excellent tone quality. It provides rich media play functions and audio/video formats support.
What is worth mentioned ...
Xpadder is a tool utilizing game controller to simulate keyboard keystrokes and mouse movements & button actions, its basic functions are similar to JoyToKey. Although just a tiny app with file size ...
There is no doubt that FeedDemon is the most popular RSS reading software on Windows platform. With its simple and friendly UI, you can quickly grab the latest news and ...
Cyborg Linux (AKA: Cyborg Hawk) is a Ubuntu (currently the most popular Unix-like OS) based penetration testing Linux distro, specially designed for hackers or cyber security experts to perform all ...
Sweet Home 3D is a free, open-source and cross-platform (written in Java) interior aided design software from France. It can help you design and decorate your furniture on a 2D ...
Why do we need to publish a post about this kind of web chatting app? After all, there have been too many video chat programs, such as ICQ, Pidgin, Miranda, ...
As a network or website administrator, most often we need know everything quite well about the LAN or even WAN our hosts lying in. For example: the name of each ...
Ikachan is a Cave Story-like, doujin-type underwater cave exploration tiny game written in C++ by Daisuke Amaya (also the developer of Cave Story) of Studio Pixel from Japan, first released in 2000.
You can see I put HDD-Profiler into the File & Manage category. Yes, it is an accurate HDD profiling utility designed to compare and display the differences, changes of some folder ...
ActiveState Komodo IDE is a cross-platform (Windows, Mac OS X and Linux), universal IDE programming development tool supporting for multiple dynamic programming languages. It provides a powerful workspace for editing, ...
[v2.70] BS.Player PRO – Powerful and versatile universal
[v2015.01.01] Xpadder – Use gamepad to simulate keyboard
FeedDemon Pro – Best free RSS/Atom feed reader
Cyborg Linux – More advanced, beautiful and poweful
[v5.3] Sweet Home 3D – Best free interior
SimpleWebRTC – Build your own real-time video/audio/text chat
[v2.70] IP-Tools – Award-winning network administrator TCP/IP utilities
Ikachan – Cave Story-like underwater exploration game
HDD-Profiler – Compare, find out difference of folder
ActiveState Komodo IDE – Cross-Platform IDE for all
- Copy text content from AppNee: You are welcomed to do this, but do remember one thing: leave us a backlink. Otherwise, finally you will destroy our pay and effort, and get yourself blacklisted/banned by the entire SAYS group.
- Download link: Any download link does not work, email us to fix it for you.
- Software version: Want to get newer version of some software, email us.
- Virus scan: Always remember to do this by yourself using VirusTotal or VirSCAN (more trustworthy). Sometimes, we may forget it or get infected with virus.
- Email reply: As long as we could take time out from daily work & study, we would manage to answer every email worth to reply as soon as possible.
- Software recommendation: For excellent software you're finding but we did not share (make sure you searched through AppNee first), please let us know (via the Feedback). Then we will do our best to find all possible resources for you. But, there is no guarantee.
- Warnning: Before asking any questions, you'd better make sure you have read the post through, and do not use a fake email. Besides, never put too much hope on AppNee, or you will be very disappointed.