Now WiFi network has covered almost every corner in our life. That means, every smartphone user may need to connect to different WiFi networks in different places. As a result, accurately remembering these unlike WiFi passwords has become a problem. In another case, when you need to reconnect to or connect a new device to some wireless network and you just forgot the password, to get the password once more is also a trouble thing. I guess you would not like to ask somebody else or the network administrator for the password every time. In such cases, a tiny and handy mobile app can make things much easier.
WiFi Password Reader is a tiny and free Android app developed by David Schulte from Germany. It is specially designed to easily view all successfully connected WiFi passwords in a mobile device with Android OS. Its fundamental principle is: every time it successfully connects to some wireless network, Android OS automatically uses (or generates if you never connected a WiFi before) a configuration file (a simple text file that requires root permission to access) to save the plaintext (i.e.: unencrypted) WiFi info (SSID and password). Therefore, as long as we find, read and parse this file, we can get those passwords back.
BTW, similar applications either costs money, spies your phone with unnecessary privileges or fill your notification bar with ads or spams. WiFi Password Reader is totally free, doesn’t contain any ads, and has no Internet connection required.
As a matter of fact, in addition to using software, there are two manual ways to view the successfully connected WiFi passwords in your Android OS:
- First, backup your WLAN using some data backup app; then enter the data backup folder to open some file with name like wifi*, wpa* using a text viewer. You will see all WiFi passwords listed inside (this method does not require root permission)
- Setup ‘Root Explorer‘ application -> enter “data/misc/wifi” -> open the ‘wpa_supplicant.conf‘ file using a text viewer (it requires the root permission)
There is no doubt that the better way, of course, is to use a special software to finish this job.
// System Requirements //
- Require root privilege
- Support Android 2.2+
// Prompts //
For Samsung users: Some devices (mostly from Samsung) save the network key no longer as clear text, but as a hash. This value can not be converted back to plain text form! At the moment I can not detect such devices automatically and the app shows only the hash as key. Known devices with this problem are: Samsung Galaxy S3/S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 2/Note 3.
// Download URLs //
// Related Posts //
Webcam Viewer (AKA: WebcamViewer) is a tiny free app help you quickly view your webcam and take screenshots through your desired integrated or USB webcam in Windows.
// Key Features //
Steinberg myMP3 PRO is a professional, versatile all-in-one music jukebox, made by the famous German musical software and equipment company - Steinberg. It is very classic and no longer updated, but ...
Learn The Guitar With Guitar Pro is specially for guys who want to start to learn guitar with the software Guitar Pro on computer or mobile phone. It's designed and made ...
Many people only know there is an NO$GBA, but maybe not know it also has a magnifier front plugin - NO$Zoomer. Although it just acts as an add-on tool, it can ...
For users who often need to make all kinds of demonstration tutorials, instead of recording screen actions into a huge video file or converting the demo video to a GIF ...
SoundTap Streaming Audio Recorder is very popular and practical tiny real-time streaming audio recorder. It enables users to capture sound from all kinds of digital audio sources (including microphone, MIDI, VCR, streaming ...
Skype is currently the world's most popular free HD instant messaging software (and VoIP) for all kinds of desktop and mobile platforms. Low system resource requirement, high-quality voice communication and ...
Take a Break Reminder is a lightweight and completely free-to-use regularly reminding to rest tool. It's specially designed for people who work at a computer for a long time, in order ...
Sega Saturn (SS for short) is Sega's sixth generation of home video game console (32-bit), hence, they named it with the name of the sixth planet 'Saturn' in Solar System. At that time, the most ...
GreenBrowser is an established but excellent IE-based web browser from China. If you have a special liking to Internet explorer, then be sure to give it a try. It won't ...
Webcam Viewer – Simple, quick webcam viewer for
Steinberg myMP3 PRO – Turn your PC into
Learn The Guitar With Guitar Pro PDF Tutorial
NO$Zoomer – Special full-featured magnifier addon for NO$GBA
ScreenToGif – Record screen as GIF animation
[v4.00] SoundTap Streaming Audio Recorder – Capture any
[v7.34] Skype – Best free VOIP and video/audio
Take a Break Reminder – Protect your health
[v0.12] SSF – Best Sega Saturn emulator for
GreenBrowser – Tiny and ultra fast Internet Explorer-based
- Copy text content from AppNee: You are welcomed to do this, but do remember one thing: leave us a backlink. Otherwise, finally you will destroy our pay and effort, and get yourself blacklisted/banned by the entire SAYS group.
- Download link: Any download link does not work, email us to fix it for you.
- Software version: Want to get newer version of some software, email us.
- Virus scan: Always remember to do this by yourself using VirusTotal or VirSCAN (more trustworthy). Sometimes, we may forget it or get infected with virus.
- Email reply: As long as we could take time out from daily work & study, we would manage to answer every email worth to reply as soon as possible.
- Software recommendation: For excellent software you're finding but we did not share (make sure you searched through AppNee first), please let us know (via the Feedback). Then we will do our best to find all possible resources for you. But, there is no guarantee.
- Warnning: Before asking any questions, you'd better make sure you have read the post through, and do not use a fake email. Besides, never put too much hope on AppNee, or you will be very disappointed.