|Ⅰ||This article along with all titles and tags are the original content of AppNee. All rights reserved. To repost or reproduce, you must add an explicit footnote along with the URL to this article!|
|Ⅱ||Any manual or automated whole-website collecting/crawling behaviors are strictly prohibited.|
|Ⅲ||Any resources shared on AppNee are limited to personal study and research only, any form of commercial behaviors are strictly prohibited. Otherwise, you may receive a variety of copyright complaints and have to deal with them by yourself.|
|Ⅳ||Before using (especially downloading) any resources shared by AppNee, please first go to read our F.A.Q. page more or less. Otherwise, please bear all the consequences by yourself.|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.|
In order to turn off the needless, nasty taskbar thumbnail feature on Windows 7+ (especially on 8.1), I guess many guys have tried all the pseudo solutions on the Internet. The only thing can be sure is – no one method is really effective at all, such as:
- Create an DWORD (32-bit) Value of TaskbarNoThumbnail to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer (for Windows 7 only)
- Uncheck the “Animations in the taskbar” in Performance Options (for Windows 8 only, and sometimes, in certain conditions)
- Enable the “Turn off taskbar thumbnails” policy in the “Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)” (only suitable for Windows Vista only)
- Create DWORD value of DisablePreviewWindow or ExtendedUIHoverTime to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced (only for Windows 7)
- Other methods (like increasing the delay time of MouseHoverTime or thumbnail’s preview window) are just too uncomfortable, far-fetched
With this little tool Taskbar Thumbnails Tuner, just one-click, the taskbar thumbnails feature will not be displayed anymore (instead, the system uses standard pure text as the tool tips), no logout or reboot required, effective immediately.
// Working Principle //
Use a few registry monitoring tools, you can find that Taskbar Thumbnails Tuner’s essence is to modify the registry too, but much more clever (by changing the following 2 registry keys):
- Enter “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced“, Create new DWORD: “ExtendedUIHoverTime” and set it to a really high number (in milliseconds) to delay the preview popup virtually forever (over 7 weeks, anyway). Apparently it doesn’t like it if you set it to exactly 0xffffffff, I think it treats it as 0. But 0xfffffffe works just fine. Kind of weird.
- Enter “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband“, Create new DWORD: “NumThumbnails” and leave it at 0 to switch the previews to a list when you actually click on a stacked icon.
Now you finally know and are sure about how to stop / prevent pop-ups / popups / thumbnails appearing when you hover over the taskbar! BTW, in addition to Taskbar Thumbnails Tuner, we also have an alternative – 7+ Taskbar Tweaker, they just do the similar work for Windows users.
// System Requirements //
// Download URLs //