|Ⅰ||This article along with all titles and tags are the original content of AppNee. All rights reserved. To repost or reproduce, you must add an explicit footnote along with the URL to this article!|
|Ⅱ||Any manual or automated whole-website collecting/crawling behaviors are strictly prohibited.|
|Ⅲ||Any resources shared on AppNee are limited to personal study and research only, any form of commercial behaviors are strictly prohibited. Otherwise, you may receive a variety of copyright complaints and have to deal with them by yourself.|
|Ⅳ||Before using (especially downloading) any resources shared by AppNee, please first go to read our F.A.Q. page more or less. Otherwise, please bear all the consequences by yourself.|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.|
Sound is often an overlooked part in the process of making a game, but it can have a huge impact on the player experience. Sound can be direct recorded using either a microphone or connected instruments, but obviously using tools to create sound effects is much easier and more efficient. At the same time, having an excellent audio production tool in hand also plays a very important role in Game Jam competitions or game development processes.
Bfxr is a free and portable Flash + AIR based sound effects generator for Windows, Mac and Web platforms. It’s actually a cross-platform remake (namely one of the ported versions) of the classic sfxr along with many more exciting features, made by Stephen Lavelle (Increpare) from Germany. On the basis of sfxr, Bfxr comes with lots of interesting and useful new features, as well as improved/enhanced functionalities.
Bfxr enables user to easily and quickly generate sound effects for game production, ring tone, background music. Besides, it also comes with sound mixing and editing capabilities, and allows user to fine-tune and overlay all selected sound effects (i.e.: put a variety of sounds together so as to create a sound mixing effect). In short, as a widely used sound effect generator, Bfxr is well suited for the production of game sounds with low fidelity and retro style, also works well with quick feedback and placeholder sound. If you are an indie game developer, then you will benefit a lot more than you expect from Bfxr.
// Key Features //
- 5 new waveforms : triangle, breaker, tan, whistle, and pink noise.
- 3 new filters : compression, harmonics, and bitcrusher.
- Ability to lock parameters during mutation/randomization.
- Expanded pitch-jumping abilities – good for arpeggiation effects.
- Keeps your sounds and mixes in persistant lists.
- Can reverse synths
- Ability to link directly to sounds
// Tips //
- If you click on the text beside one of the sliders, it moves the slider back to its default position.
- If you right-click one of the locks, it locks/unlocks all parameters
- you can clear out all your sound lists from by selecting “Clear All” from the Load dropdown menu
- There’s some handy info in the tooltips.
- If you don’t want to download Adobe AIR for the privilege of a standalone version, you can safely just download this webpage to your hard disk and run it locally.
- You may find it gets slow or stutters sometimes. If you hit play a second time it should play just fine. A chief cause of slowness is use of the ‘harmonics’ parameter in the synth screen. It’s tres beautiful, but be careful with it.
- Running multiple copies at once is DANGEROUS, only the data from one of them will remain. So be careful about opening lots of links to sounds that people have made all at once. However, and this is the tip part: you can paste the URL in with the paste faculty as well (via the button, or ctrl+v).
- The presets only traverse a small portion of the sonic range of this program. Try playing around with parmeters, layering them in the mixer, see what happens 🙂
- If you like the sounds you’ve made with this, consider putting them into a game, eh? ’tis not hard nowadays to toss a game together.
// Download URLs //
|Freeware||Latest||Win | Mac||n/a|
|If some download link is missing, and you do need it, just please send an email (along with post link and missing link) to remind us to reupload the missing file for you. And, give us some time to respond.|
|If there is a password for an archive, it should be "appnee.com".|
|Most of the reserved downloads (including the 32-bit version) can be requested to reupload via email.|